Saturday 12 July 2014

Dancing Blog #1

Hello everyone. As I write this on my smartphone it's a cold afternoon in Sydney and I'm on my way to meet my bff for coffee before my lesson.

Today's blog post was inspired by a slight lecture I got from my coach last night during my lesson.

Well maybe lecture is too harsh a word but what happened was that I apparently was showing off too much during my studios dance party

It's common in Australian dance studios to have a social party on a regular basis. This is a great opportunity for students of social dance (which I haven't been for a long time) to test out their skills.

Most of the studios I've been to usually just let the music run and the people have at it. Our studio party was a little different. We had mini group lessons, performances and of course general dancing. I had been asked to perform a Viennese Waltz.

That performance alone made people gasp but that wasn't what got me into trouble.
During the group lessons I was having so much fun that I decided to strut my stuff. It wasn't intended to be showing off (okay maybe just a little) but all in all I was having a great time.

But apparently that scared some people and might have made them feel a little inadequate.
I'm two minds about this. On one hand I am embarrassed that I made someone feel like that.

On the flip side I am annoyed. I never complained about watching someone who clearly was more practiced and more skilled than I and it never made me feel small. It made me feel pride that I am a dancer and I know there is so much I can accomplish if I work for it.

When I see a masterful performance I want to get into a studio and start training so I can one day be as amazing as my dancing heroes (Mirko Gozzoli, Edita Danube and Joanne Clifton just to name a few).

I know that not everyone is like me. I am not condoning nor condemning my reaction. I am reminding myself and anyone reading this that we are human, we make mistakes, we can royally fuck things up and most importantly we are capable of such beauty if we only try.

A friend of mine posted on her face book a quote that is my new motto


No comments:

Post a Comment